Thursday, October 18, 2007

Purity and Abstinence



Andris (one of the speakers) and Me

Mara and Jay-Fellow Team Members


This past Friday, I was involved in an abstinence outreach night put on by Fek, the Hungarian student ministry I get to work with. As you can see from the title, this night was totally devoted to the topic of saving sex for marriage. This is a VERY unusual message in the Hungary. I think some people came just because they thought we were a little crazy :) Several students, including myself, shared our view on this topic and one newly married Hungarian couple on our team shared, too. The students listened and paid attention the whole evening. I was quite suprised and delighted. When it was my turn, I shared a poem I had written about my promise ring....it went something like this:


With this ring, I make a promise.
I’m waiting just for you.
Purity and anticipation linger in the que.
Even if you’re not here now, this can still be true
With this ring, I say, all I want is you.

I’ve felt the inner longing and wishing just to be,
A girl who gets affection for all the world to see.
And even though I want you now,
Delaying brings true joy somehow.
With this ring, I set myself apart for you.

Though some might call me crazy
Or say my head is full of daises.
In my heart I know, that someday they will see
That waiting was the key that brought you here to me
With this ring, I take my stand.

And while I watch the world go by,
I see misery in people’s eyes.
Society does look back and wish
They’d preserved their bodies as a savory dish.
With this ring, I choose to wait

By Olivia

Please pray for open hearts in the youth of Hungary.