Thursday, September 27, 2007

Discipleship Group

An essay by Olivia that explains a little bit about her new Discipleship Group that will be starting in October. If she comes to mind, please pray for her. Thank you!

I have been given the privilege of working with one of my dearest friends, Lauren, to start a discipleship group this year for 5 freshmen girls. Lauren and I have spent our high school years working with Fek, a ministry of Campus Crusade for Christ. We have been taught, encouraged and trained to make Biblical evangelism a part of our daily lives. We’ve gone from being scared beyond belief to wanting to share our faith with our peers. We have learned the value of our faith and now we’ve reached the point where we want to pass along all that we have learned to another generation of young believers.

First of all, we know that evangelism needs to be a part of our lives. Normally there are people that work on a short term basis with Campus Crusade. These people take students like Lauren and me out in Budapest to share our faith. This year, however, there are no short term workers. So we were posed with the problem of meeting our evangelism requirements and needs. So Lauren and I began thinking about what we could do that would challenge us and involve evangelism.

The possibility of leading a discipleship group is something that I have been thinking and praying about over the last few months. I have gotten to the point that I feel that I have been given and taught so much that I need to be doing my part of returning the favor by passing it on to others. I continued to consider the idea and mentioned it to Lauren while we were working at an English camp this summer. It “just so happened” that God was speaking to her heart about working with a group of girls, too. We talked about the possibility of leading the group together and made the commitment to keep praying and seeking where the Lord would lead.

Lauren and I discussed having a discipleship group with Kelly Butts, the women’s university and high school director of Fek. (my Hungarian ministry) She loved our idea and prayed and met with us to help plan our approach. We then spoke with the girls and plans are in order to start the discipleship group here in the next two weeks.

My desire is that the girls would learn to treasure and explain their faith. I want the importance of evangelism to grow in their hearts and minds. I want them to learn to share their testimonies but mostly I want them to grow in their relationships with God and with the understanding of who they were made to be. I cannot wait to see all that God can and will do in these beautiful freshmen girls.